Thank you for your purchase! Every purchase made helps us create, design and refine our products for everyone in the community. Without your help and support we would not be able to make these projects a reality.
Please don’t forget to leave us feedback or give us a shout out on any of the Facebook MR2 pages/forums etc.
We really hope you like our products as much as we do and look forward to bringing you many more new and exciting products in 2022!
If for some reason you encounter an issue or problem with any of our products, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with us so we can do our best to help you out.
Before you install this kit
- Please have a licensed mechanic install this kit for you if you don't know what you are doing. While we use and offer the highest quality parts available to us, we take no liabilities of any kind if you were to cause death, injure yourself or others, cause an accident of any kind. Please read disclaimers. Your use of our kit constitutes your agreement to our disclaimers.
- Please make sure you bought 1-2 large bottles of brake fluid. I recommend 2 just incase.
- Please make sure you have all the supplied parts - Depending if you bought front, rear or bundle kit
- 2 or 4 rotors that are the correct orientation
- 2 or 4 calipers with correct part numbers, 120-11130 (fronts), 120-11125 (rears)
- 2 or 4 D.O.T. approved Stainless steel brake lines
- 2 or 4 Caliper Mounting Brackets (These are different for front and rear)
- Correct amount and type of brake pads
- If you bought the rear kit, 2 hubcentric spacers
- Extra 4x 7/16 flat washers (see notes)
- 1 or 2 Hardware packs that is not punctured etc. Front and rear kits use the same hardware packs. Each hardware pack is enough to do 2 calipers. Each pack will contain
- 4x M12x1.25 Black Oxide Screws
- 4x M12 Flat Washers
- 4x M12 Spring Loaded Washers
- 4x 7/16 Black Oxide Screws
- 4x 7/16 Flat Washers
- 4x 7/16 Spring Loaded Washers
- Optional Parking Brake Kit
- 2x parking brake cables
- 2x mounting brackets
- 2x Wilwood parking brake calipers 120-12070 and 120-12069 (sometimes we ship these without the box due to space limitations so just make sure they are not 2 of the same calipers because they are side specific)
- 1x Hardware pack that is not punctured etc
- 4x Black Oxide Grade 12.9 M6x1.0 screws
- 4x M6 Flat Washers
- 4x 3/8-24 Black Oxide Screws
- 4x 3/8 Flat washers
- 4x 3/8 Spring loaded washers
Front and Rear Big Brake Kit Installation Instructions
- Raise the MR2 up
- Remove the wheels, OEM flexible brake lines, brake calipers, brake rotors etc. If installing rear parking brake kit add on option, remove 2x middle "rectangular shaped" underbody panels that covers the parking brake lines leading into rear brake calipers.
- With everything out of the way and removed, Install and mount brake caliper mounting adaptors with supplied hardware. Front and rear hardware will be bagged/separated in their corresponding packages.
- Generally, the bigger caliper mounting adaptor bracket is for the fronts. The smaller adaptor bracket is for the rears.
- The screws are identical front and rear. Use the provided shorter black oxide M12 screws to mount the caliper mounting bracket adaptor to the casted hub knuckle.
- The long black oxide 7/16 screws will be used to mount the wilwood calipers later on.
- If you're wondering how the brackets attach and install. Same orientation for front and rear
- Install rotors and place 1-2 lug nuts to secure rotors for the time being.
- Don't forget to install the 2 hubcentric rings for the rear brake rotors.
- Please note correct orientation of rotors, they are different from one another internally. Only rear plain rotors are identical left and right.
- Mount wilwood calipers onto the caliper mounting brackets you installed previously.
- Wilwood 120-11130 calipers are for the fronts.
- Wilwood 120-11125 are for the rears.
- Slide in the brake pads (brake pads should slide in relatively easily). The brake pads will work for front and rear, they are the same.
- For rear big brake kit, if the brake pads does not slide in easily, please read below notes.
- Don't forget to tighten the circular tube bridge on the wilwood calipers after installing the brake pads.
- Install new DOT approved stainless steel brake lines by attaching one end to the OEM brake hardline and the other end into the wilwood caliper. Use necessary supplied mounting clips if needed. Please mount and secure the brake lines to prevent it from rubbing anything during vehicle operation.
- Once everything is bolted back up, you are ready to bleed your brakes!
- If you need to install the rear optional parking brake, do that before you bleed your brakes? Up to you.
- Refer to this document - https://shop.wilwood.com/blogs/news/properly-bleeding-your-brake-system
- Bleed starting from the wheel farthest from the master cylinder, then work your way to the closest wheel to the MC.
- Bleed the outer top pointing screw first, then bleed the inner top pointing screw per caliper.
- Never bleed the screw nipples pointing downwards
- Once everything is bled, test system for leaks by pressing hard on the brake pedal and holding for 10 seconds. Brake fluid leaks of any size is NOT ACCEPTABLE.
- Once tested for leaks, you may proceed to put everything back on such as underbody panels and wheels.
- Lower the car once again and test that the brakes work as intended and no leaks are present.
- A proper bedding in of the pad is needed for optimal performance.
- Refer to this document - https://www.wilwood.com/PDF/Flyers/fl227.pdf
- Proceed with a series of 8-10 hard stops from 55-65 MPH down to 25 MPH allowing 20-30 seconds of cool down time between each stop.
- 2. Drive at a moderate cruising speed, with the least amount of brake contact possible, until most of the heat has dissipated from the brakes. Avoid sitting stopped with the brake pedal depressed to hold the car in place during this time. Park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool to ambient air temperature.
Installation of Optional Rear Parking Brake Kit
- Remove old parking brake cables (this is a necessary step)
- Install new extended parking brake cables and rear parking brake kit as follows.
- Don't forget to route and secure the parking brake cables out of harms way such as the moving axle and suspension components.
- Adjust your parking brake cables/interior brake handle at the middle of the car if necessary.
- The mounting brackets are side specific. They only install in one way.
- Please note that the parking brake calipers are also side specific. They also only install in only one way
- Do note - this is for parking or emergency brakes. If you are using this to drift your car, its inadequate and not designed for that usage.
3.Reinstall the underbody panels
Disclaimers and Notes
- These brake parts are intended for off road use only, they are not intended to be used on the streets/highways. Whatever you do with your car is up to you and your responsibility.
- Please note that higher temperature racing pads usually have poor friction characteristics when brakes are cold. That means you may notice your car may not stop or bite as hard when your brakes are cold. This can be dangerous and may surprise most people if they are not aware or used to it. That is the tradeoff for most extreme high temperature brake pads orientated for racing use. General rule of thumb is the higher the temperature ranges of the pad, the worse it is for cold brake performance.
- Please don't attempt to install these if you are not a licensed automotive mechanic
- While we strive for the highest quality brake components accessible to us, we are not responsible for any damages, injuries, accidents or death to you or others due to the use and installation of these supplied parts. All responsibility is on is on you. Ordering from us or using our supplied brake parts constitutes your agreement to these disclaimers.
- The supplied optional parking brake kit is not intended for drifting or sliding of the car.
- Please make sure your brake components does NOT leak fluid before testing/operating your car. Any fluid leaks of any size is NOT PASSIBLE/ACCEPTABLE.
- Proper Bedding in of the pads is recommended for optional performance
- For Rear BBK, some users may need to add 3mm of washers to center the disc rotor in the middle of the caliper. We have supplied 4 extra 7/16 stainless steel washers for this purpose if necessary