Note 9-10-2023 - All varients in stock and ready to ship
Note 8/18/2023 - Variant with DENSO adaptor in stock and ready to ship. Cable extension version ready to ship in a few weeks (delayed 8/24).
Fixes speedometer not working issues, speedometer "flickering or juddering", speedometer not consistent etc
Introducing our all new drop in plug and play speedometer solution for 91-92 Toyota MR2s with E153 transmission (factory turbo transmission). Our solution eliminates the clunky original system utilizing a complex 90 degree worm gear system with a much simpler direct straight shot setup and does not require any modifications at all.
The 91-92 MR2s mechanical speedometer system utilizes 2 speedometer cables which are combined into one (connection at under the middle of the car) and connects directly to the back of your gauge cluster and the bolt on assembly on the transmission that this product page is for. Please check those 2 cables and your gauge cluster with a drill first before installing our kit (use drill to spin cables). We offer both replacement cables here if needed.
As our kit replaces a sharp 90 degree transition (the purpose of the old 80s clunky original 90 degree gear unit) which was used to create less bends in the speedometer cable routing, we have 2 optional methods for solely this purpose. You only need one of the two, or you can also run without either of the 2 mentioned solutions, but your speedometer cable will have a relatively tight bend radius which may shorten cable lifespan and may affect performance.
- First optional solution we offer is adding a 3rd speedometer cable to lengthen the oem speedometer cable and allow for a more relaxed bend radius instead of a sharper one caused by oem speedometer cable being short on length. Our speedometer cable is self lubricating. No need to lube.
- Second optional solution is using a heavy duty new OEM Toyota Denso angled transition piece. This method will bolt right up to oem speedometer cable to our new aluminum sleeve without any modifications. The downside is this piece is its difficult and expensive to obtain.
- Third solution, which we highly do not recommend, is to run without either of the 2 above mentioned solutions and just plug your existing speedometer cable right to the new aluminum sleeve, but your speedometer cable will have a relatively tight bend radius to make that 90 degree turn which may shorten cable lifespan & performance.
- MR2Heaven Bespoke Billet Aluminum 6061 Machined Sleeve (plugs into transmission and speedometer cable)
- MR2Heaven Bespoke Billet Aluminum 6061 Machined Mounting Tab (Keeps sleeve in place)
- MR2Heaven Bespoke Billet Stainless Steel Machined connecting key (Allows one to adapt/use oem nylon gears)
- MR2Heaven Billet Nylon CNC Machined gear (OEM Replica)
- MR2Heaven Billet Machined Gear Shaft for Nylon gear (OEM Replica)
- Viton FKM rubber O Ring seal (High Quality OEM Replacement)
- MR2Heaven High Quality Radial Shaft Oil Seal (already pre-installed in aluminum sleeve)
- OEM Toyota Sleeve/Nylon Gear Shaft Retaining Clip
- 1x 3rd short MR2Heaven speedometer cable or one new Denso angled transition piece
Tested to work with E153 transmissions from a MR2 (the factory MR2 turbo transmission, not for Non Turbo S54 transmissions!). This is a mechanical speedometer sensor and is not the same sensor used in 1993+ and newer MR2s (electric system). Works with both LSD and non LSD as well as newer E153s, assuming you want to swap from electrical back to mechanical
Upon designing our solution, we noticed our solution may also work on other Toyotas which we have not tested or verified. Please do your own homework, look at the pictures and decide for yourself
- 1988-1991 Toyota Camry
- 1988-1993 Toyota Celica
- 1988-1993 Toyota Corolla
- 1987-1992 Toyota MR2 (tested on SW20s, not on AW11s yet)
- Please test your existing 2 speedometer cables and gauge cluster with a drill first to verify those parts are in good working order before installing our kit. We offer both replacement cables here if needed.
- Our solution replaces OEM part #s
- 33403-19406 - OEM Nylon Gear and shaft kit - Superseeds 33403-19405, 33403-12100
- 83798-17010 - Speedometer connecting pin
- 33404-17010 - OEM Sleeve assembly
- 83770-17020 - Clunky and redundant 90 Degree gear assembly
- 90468-12005 - Retaining C Spring Clip for Sleeve/Gear Shaft
- 96711-24018 - O Ring (Sleeve to transmission housing seal)
- Our speedometer cable is self lubricating. No need to lube.
MR2 Experts - 20+ years of experience.
Largest MR2 Parts Collection in the World
Have ideas, need something, have suggestions or questions? Hit us up!
Since 2002, we've been working to improve almost every aspect of the Toyota MR2, whether it's restoring it to its former glory or increasing its performance, efficiency, or style.
Our team of experts offers a wide range of OEM and aftermarket parts, as well as our own unique designs and engineering that can't be found anywhere else. We're dedicated to providing the best products at great everyday low prices and supporting the Toyota MR2 community with high-quality products.
If you have any new ideas, let us know – we're always looking for ways to bring your vision to life. Thank you for choosing MR2Heaven for all your Toyota MR2 needs.