MR2Heaven Ultimate Wilwood REAR BIG Brake Kit - 1991-1998 MR2
- Brake Rotors
- Brake Pads
- Calipers & Hardware
Introducing our Ultimate Brake Upgrade
Shave 20-22 lbs over 1993+ Turbo OEM Brakes, gain superb pedal feel, superior heat management, exceptional track proven stopping power and much more. Tailored options for all budgets, with brake bias precision and optional parking brake features.
- Lightweight - Flagship 2-piece rotors with aluminum centers, 2lbs lighter per rotor than OEM 93+. Forged lightweight calipers saves an additional 14lbs over OEM.
- Brake Rotor Cooling - All rotors we offer are track ready. Unrivaled performance with endurance/race level 65 curved directional cooling vanes on flagship 2-piece rotors and 54 on 1-piece rotors. For brakes, It's largely about managing temperatures, how much heat a brake rotor can shed off vs how much heat absorbed over time. Brake rotor cooling physics comes down to total surface area of brake rotor material dedicated to heat transfer. This is where larger thicknesses of air channels, larger rotor diameter, number of cooling vanes helps significantly. Our flagship 2-piece rotors features almost just as much (about 3-10% less) rotor cooling surface area as the other 12.72" full sized 1pc rotors it replaces while saving significant weight, 21lbs to 14.4lbs.
- Mass of Rotor - While we could have made our rotors the lightest, we focused heavily towards an ideal balance between increased vanes/surface area for cooling, thicker rotor and face thicknesses for durability as well as the ability to handle large thermal shock/abuse without huge temperature fluctuations (thin/small/light rotors will heat up significantly more, will have higher chance of cracking). By doing so, consistent brake feel and modulation (crucial for racing) is better maintained, lower temperatures and operating costs, more pad choices, and long lasting headache free reliable performance even under the most demanding applications and use cases is achieved.
- Our customers have reported that with smaller, thinner and lightweight 12.20" rotors at 10.5-12.7 lbs with 32-48 vanes paired with only spirited mountain driving, you will have to replace your rotors every 1-2 years as they wear out very quickly and well as having to run higher temperature brake pads. However, on 12.72", 14.1-14.4 lbs with larger diameter/thicknesses, better grade material, and increased focus on cooling will be good for 7-11+ full extreme track days and you can drop 1-2 temperature tier for brake pad choice, all from running at lower operating temperatures.
- Mass, Math and Physics - Stopping a 2800lbs MR2 from 135-60mph, assuming fronts do 70% of braking, a single 10.5lbs rotor will calculate to 542F worth of heat increase over ambient temperature over a few short seconds, 12.7lbs will be 447F, 14.1-14.4lbs will be 391-401F, 21lbs will be 215F (Realistically, 21lbs factors in quite a bit of unused dead weight due to heavy iron top hat in the middle, with 3D Scanning/CAD modeling, its determined around 18.2lbs is used, 311F). Imagine operating at 750-900F already with a small, thin and lightweight rotor and having to add an additional 542F worth of heat energy into the system, yikes.. For a brutal 150-0mph calculation, 10.5lbs - 831F, 12.7lbs - 685F, 14.4lbs - 599F, 18.2lbs - 477F. Plan accordingly, don't forget to factor in rate of cooling over time.
- Rotor Diameter - Our kits are designed around Class-leading 323mm/12.72" matching front and rear rotors. Helps achieve superior heat capacity and cooling, longer lifespan and reliability, improving braking predictability, a wider range of brake pad options and enhanced style/appearance
- Rotor Thickness - Our optimized 30.0, and 31.75mm 2-piece rotor thickness maxes out the front calipers and strikes the perfect balance between cooling efficiency, lightweight design, extended lifespan, and reliable performance. Our flagship 2-piece rotors provide a thickness of 16.75mm of air cooling and 7.5mm thick rotor surfaces for heat absorption, fine-tuned specifically for MR2s driving dynamics and usage cases.
- Longevity & Low Operating Costs - Due to running at lower temperatures and having higher capabilities even under the most demanding usages, your brake components is less stressed, resulting in increased lifespan and minimal long-term replacement costs.
- Interchangeability & Wide Range of Solutions - Multiple options for easy part finding and customization. Choose from various styles, patterns, and performance levels at different price points.
- High Quality Components - Made in USA DOT approved brake lines, pads, fasteners (Highest grade 12.9), and forged aluminum Wilwood calipers. 6061-T6 anodized aluminum caliper mounting brackets, 2-piece top hats, and grade G3000-G3500 Iron (OEM equivalent/High performance grade brake rotors)
- Easy and Quick Pad Changes on Wilwood Caliper - Remove wheel, loosen nut, slide pads in and out one at a time.
- Extra features - Free temperature-changing paint indicators on flagship 2-piece rotors.
This brake kit includes everything you need to upgrade your existing brakes:
- A pair of Grey Wilwood Forged Superlite Calipers (optional powder-coating in Black or Red)
- A pair of 6061-T6 aerospace-grade aluminum billet mounting adapter brackets for Wilwood Forged Superlite Calipers
- A pair of heavy-duty US D.O.T. Approved Technafit stainless steel brake hoses with transparent protective sleeves
- High-quality hardware kit
- Optional brake pad set of your choice or source your own
- Optional authentic rotor pair of your choice or source your own
- A pair of rear rotor hubcentric rings if applicable
Optional two-piece rotor setup
- A pair of 6061-T6 aluminum top hats
- Additional necessary hardware for mounting rotors to top hats
Optional Wilwood Parking Brake Caliper Kit Add on
- Custom Parking Brake Cables
- A pair of Wilwood MC-4 Calipers - Color matched with your main caliper color choice
- Parking brake caliper mounting bracket is made from 6mm thick carbon steel and finished with a matte black protective coating
- Additional mounting hardware, brake pads, brackets
Optional Brake Duct Cooling Kits - Brake duct cooling helps cool brakes and drops temperatures even further
- All 1991-1998 Toyota MR2
- 17" Wheels required
Wheel fitment template
This kit is compatible with most aftermarket wheel configurations for the MR2. To ensure a proper fit or if you have any doubts, you can utilize our wheel-to-caliper fitment/clearance template designed specifically for this kit. (Front) (Rear)
All rotors we supply are from reputable manufacturers, suitable for MR2 track use. We utilize 1994-1998 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo front rotors and 2004-2011 Mazda RX8 front "Sport Suspension Spec" rotors for our kits. There are also many other companies that makes rotors for said cars so those would also work as well. Link to Full Rotor Part # Table
- Curved directional internal cooling vanes provide superior cooling and durability compared to straight vanes, resulting in 80-150F+ temperature reduction alone.
- A higher vane count generally provides a larger internal surface area for heat dissipation, ensuring more consistent cooling and fewer rotor hot spots. This leads to lower operating temperatures and a stronger, more uniform rotor. Over time, hot spots, warping, or distortion can cause brake pedal pulsation. Typically, economical rotors have 24-32 vanes, street performance rotors have up to 48, and race rotors boast 60-80 or more vanes.
MR2Heaven 2-Piece Rotors - Our 2-piece rotor solution, exclusively designed for our big brake kits, is not backwards compatible with Supra or RX-8 systems. This innovative solution is the result of extensive research, experience, 3D modeling, and refinement, involving over 83 rotor designs analyzed to optimize MR2's weight and driving dynamics. Our front and rear 2-piece rotors offer the same cooling surface area as full-sized rotors in a more compact design, achieved by using race-grade 65 curved internal cooling vanes—typically found in expensive race rotors. This 2-piece design improves on and overcomes the drawbacks of using off the shelf Supra/RX-8 rotors, such as wasted space, weight, and heavy center sections.
- Front rotor thickness increased by 1.25mm to 31.75mm, rear thickness decreased from 24.0mm to 23.5mm as part of optimization. They fully utilize the capabilities of the front Wilwood calipers. Meeting G3500 grade iron standards, these rotors feature black E-coating for added corrosion resistance and performance (excluding plain-style rotors).
- Factory-applied heat indication paint markers, valued at $150, are included at no extra cost on our 2-piece rotor offerings. The green paint transforms to white when rotor temperatures exceed 840°F, while the orange paint shifts to white at 1020°F. When rotor temperatures reach 1200°F, the red paint changes color.
Brake fade occurs when brakes operate outside their pad's temperature range, causing friction to decrease and brake pads to melt, leaving residue on rotors and leading to pedal pulsation.
HAWK, Wilwood and EBC pads are engineered, lab and track tested, solid and proven. First 2 are Made in USA. Wilwood Temperature/friction charts available see here (Wilwood pads), here (HAWK pads). EBC chart can be found here (EBC pads). Other brand pads such as Carbotech, PAGID, StopTech, Project Mu also works, but to simplify logistics, we only carry HAWK, Wilwood and EBC. General rule of thumb is OEM brake pads for sport cars are good for up to around 600F on small rotors before dropping off on friction.
Higher temperature pads come with drawbacks, higher the temp, the worse poor cold performance or high pitched hard squealing is common. Please don’t order BP-30 or BP-40 thinking it is cool when its not needed. For our kits, 99.9% of owners will not need over BP-20 at most
- EBC Red Stuff - Very consistent friction up to 800F before tapering off. Great for the streets as these are not track purposed, which is also good if you don't like squealing brakes. The go to pad if noise is an issue, BP-10 would be our next pad to recommend for low noise.
- HAWK High Performance Street - Good up to 750F-800F - Great for high performance street use with low wear. These may still be quite noisy when cold. If you have brake ducting/cooling set up, these pads will suffice for light duty track use
- HAWK HPS + - Good up to 850-900F – Same as above. Pads that are built for this temperature range are a bit noisy for people who are not used to using high performance pads, i.e, they may squeal lightly at every stop when cold. Goes away when warm.
- BP-10 High Performance Street/Track use **POPULAR - Great for up to 950-1050F. BP series pads are great. Great compromise, Cost effective, long life and are very consistent. Perfect for street and moderate/heavy duty track use. As expected with all high temperature pads, these will squeal a tiny bit when cold, can probably be heard up to 1-3 cars away when standing outside. Fortunately any braking noise does goes away completely after 1-2 stops like (60-20mph). We highly recommend these pads and they'll work for 95% of MR2 owners. Pair it with brake ducting and you'll be golden!
- BP-20 Streetable/Heavy duty track pad **POPULAR - Great for up to 1200-1250F - Just like BP-10s, offers great cold performance and consistent feel for street and track throughout the whole temperature range. Long lasting and inexpensive, all you'll ever need. Will take everything you can throw at it consistently lap after lap. Make sure you have some kind of brake ducting in place as it helps significantly with cooling. Only downside of BP-20 pads is increased squealing intensity when cold. As expected with this temperature range of pads, you can sometimes hear these pads 6-30+ cars away and it sounds similar to a train when they're cold. Goes away completely when warm with 1-2 60-20mph stops. Some may find this annoying, while some may enjoy the sounds. I don't drive my MR2 often and when i do, i'm pretty extreme and like to make a statement so i personally love these pads. Fortunately, switching out pads if needed on Wilwood calipers can be done within a minute per corner if you already have the wheels off.
- BP-30 - You don't need this but if you want it, we have it. Good for 1200-1450F. Not designed for street use, race only.
- BP-40 - Xtreme High Temp Racing Pad – You don't need this but we have it - RACE track use ONLY.
Wilwood Forged Superlite Calipers feature a lightweight, 4-piston design that's both budget-friendly and proven on the track. Manufactured in the USA, these calipers can be powder-coated by Wilwood in Black or Red or even custom colors for an additional $1400. Alternatively, you can order Gray and customize the color yourself. Replacing your stock calipers with these Wilwood calipers can save you approximately 14lbs in weight. Carefully selected to maintain brake bias on both Turbo and NA MR2 models, these calipers are a high-quality and stylish upgrade option.
|Model||Part #||Position||Piston diameter||Notes|
|Wilwood Main Calipers|
|Forged Superlite||120-11130||Front||1.38"||Standard front caliper supplied with kits|
|Forged Superlite||120-11125||Rear||1.25"||Standard rear caliper supplied with kits|
Optimal for NA and Turbo proportioning valves.
|Optional Parking Brake Calipers|
|MC-4 Mechanical||120-12070||Rear Left||---||Silver - Also available in red and black|
|MC-4 Mechanical||120-12069||Rear Right||---||Silver - Also available in red and black|
Premium Brake Caliper Mounting Brackets are crafted from a single piece of CNC-machined 6061-T6 aerospace-grade aluminum, providing strength and durability while being one-third the weight of most mild steel alternatives. These brackets are hard-anodized for exceptional protection against extreme environments. In contrast, some MR2 sellers use outdated multi-piece steel brackets that are either bolted or welded together and painted black. While less expensive to manufacture, these brackets are three times heavier and can be unevenly welded. Furthermore, if their paint chips, they are susceptible to rust.
High-quality, US-made D.O.T. approved one-piece brake lines are crafted from premium PTFE cores, zinc-plated steel fittings, and stainless wire braided covers, all encased in a clear PVC outer layer for protection against chemicals, elements, and debris. These lines prevent swelling, expansion, and rubber deterioration commonly seen in stock OE lines. In contrast, some MR2 sellers use cheap, unbranded lines with multi-piece fittings, which are prone to leaks and deformation due to cost-cutting measures. Be aware of the potential risks associated with inferior products.
High-Quality Hardware Kit features heavy-duty Grade 12.9 black oxide bolts/screws, stainless steel and zinc-coated washers, and lock washers, all sourced from the reputable McMaster Carr. These components are designed to withstand harsh environments.
For Two-Piece Rotor Assembly, we use 18-8 stainless steel socket head cap screws and U.S. Military Standard 21042-5 self-locking "jet nuts" to secure the top hat to the rotors, eliminating the need for safety wire.
Brake Bias - Our front and rear kit, when combined, delivers brake bias dynamics that meet or surpass OE standards:
- With an OEM Non-Turbo Brake proportioning valve, our F&R kit performs exceptionally well with BP10 & BP20 pads, significantly improving OEM 1993+ Turbo Brake Bias curves. It achieves 60-63% front bias from 0.5 to 0.7G and maintains an ideal 63%-68% front bias from 0.7 up to 1.4G. This helps prevent rear wheel lock-ups as weight shifts to the car's front during hard braking.
- With an OEM Turbo Brake proportioning valve, our F&R kit performs decently with BP10 & BP20 pads. It maintains a stable 62-64% front bias and around 36% rear bias from 0.5 to 1.4G of deceleration, similar to the OEM 93T brake bias.
Disclaimer - These brake components are designed for off-road use only and should not be used on streets or highways. By ordering from us or using our supplied brake parts, you agree that we are not responsible for any damages, injuries, accidents, or deaths. All responsibility lies with you.
Be aware that inventory, pricing, and wait times for rotors have varied significantly in recent years, with some manufacturers increasing prices by up to 300% within a year. Some rotor brands even discontinued products or faced long stockouts. Our brake kit system offers over 11 types of rotors to choose from, including 6 custom-made variants, ensuring you have ample options for future maintenance and avoiding being without brake rotors or pads.