Currently on back order as of 1/21/24
Many MR2s face clutch engagement and disengagement issues. Owners replaced everything, bled numerous times and tried all the, lets call them "Band-Aids" with no luck. Guess why.
A commonly overlooked critical issue with all factory clutch pedals on the 91-98 MR2, where simple normal wear and tear (about 70-110k+ mileage, firmer the pedal, quicker it wears) of the clutch pedal clevis attachment point (this part called clevis connects the clutch pedal to a rod going into your clutch master cylinder) will cause numerous issues, such as
- Premature wear of your expensive transmission
- Gear change hesitation/lock outs at higher RPMs
- Grinding gears when shifting, eventually being permanent (you could be damaging/wearing your transmission synchros prematurely without even knowing or hearing it)
- Low clutch engagement point on pedal stroke
- Difficulty in engaging and or disengaging clutch - "an overly sticky clutch"
- Difficulty and or complete inability to change gears
- Inconsistent and spongy pedal feel - Soft first 1-4 inch of travel that does nothing and then firm pedal with no clutch disengagement action...
This normal wear and tear creates a situation where your clutch pedal stroke does not fully convert over to move the rod/piston of the clutch master cylinder, essentially means your transmission didn't fully "clutch in", clutch master cylinder rod/piston only moved perhaps 30-70% in relation to the full clutch pedal stroke, wasted pedal stroke. Its like stepping on your clutch pedal only 30-70% of the way and then you try to shift, say good bye to your expensive transmission.
Our solution is a complete replacement of the factory clevis system as well as adding a roller needle bearing as replacement of the factory plastic bushing (we bet yours is worn out or missing completely already). This roller bearing stops further wear and restores proper clutch engagement. Furthermore, more adjustment range on new clevis for you to adjust the clutch pedal engagement point to your liking. Adds consistency and improved feel to your clutch pedal, no more annoying, soft, spongy, vague first 1-4 inch of travel, and then significantly firmer pedal that may or may not do anything.
- Billet 6061 Aluminum CNC construction of Clevis
- Roller needle main bearing for clutch pedal itself
- 2x Roller side bearings on Clevis
- Clevis is easily adjustable if needed to achieve the perfect ideal clutch pedal engagement point
- Offers more adjustment range over stock clevis
- Reduces and or eliminates squeaking of clutch pedal
- Promotes proper clutch engagement
- Improves clutch pedal feel
- Improves your driving experience
- Lifetime solution - will last lifetime of MR2
- Verified to fit all 1991-1998 Clutch Pedals, RHD & LHD.
One would need to enlarge pedal assembly hole to install new roller needle bearing. A 15/32 drill bit is needed, not included.
If you want a new pedal assembly because yours is too worn out, click here. Alternatively, you can weld material on, grind smooth and re-drill if you're up for it
MR2 Experts - 20+ years of experience.
Largest MR2 Parts Collection in the World
Have ideas, need something, have suggestions or questions? Hit us up!
Since 2002, we've been working to improve almost every aspect of the Toyota MR2, whether it's restoring it to its former glory or increasing its performance, efficiency, or style.
Our team of experts offers a wide range of OEM and aftermarket parts, as well as our own unique designs and engineering that can't be found anywhere else. We're dedicated to providing the best products at great everyday low prices and supporting the Toyota MR2 community with high-quality products.
If you have any new ideas, let us know – we're always looking for ways to bring your vision to life. Thank you for choosing MR2Heaven for all your Toyota MR2 needs.