**FORTUNE AUTO 500 Series - Coilover Suspension Kit (Generation 7 - Newest for 2019)
We are OFFERING FREE SHIPPING for the 48 STATES! For International orders, we will contact you for more info regarding shipping
Our personal favorite pick in the suspension department for the MR2 without a doubt is the Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilovers. As passionate, decade long MR2 fanatics, we've pretty much tried around 80%+ of the different suspensions out there for the MR2 and personally feel that this coilover is an no brainer in its price range as it is on par with the 2-3k systems out there.
What won us over was that FA 500 coilovers offer amazing daily comfort for driving on crappy city roads(California) and the best road performance we've seen so far. For comfort, small annoying jarring high frequency bumps present on other types of coilovers (BC, ksport, megan, tein etc) were filtered out and the setup actually feels like what an OEM luxury sports car feels like, not jarring, comfortable, supple and yet capable. With identical spring rates at 5/8K, the FA500 personally felt 30-40% less jarring/more comfortable on our admin's personal MR2 than our second favorite pick - BC Racing Type BR coilovers (which were replaced for the FA500 Coilovers as admin Richard complained of comfort issues). The 5/8K on FA500 were also a lot better than the 4/6k on the BC (We tried that too in hopes of a more comfortable ride but its too soft and the high frequency bounces were still present annoying/uncomfortable). The FA500 coilovers helped achieve higher cornering speeds, an increased sense of stability/confidence at high cornering speeds (think triple digit/OEM speed governed, flat out throttle on a rounder. **We don't condone doing this and we are not responsible for any injuries/damages/death arising from this), 5 years warranty, HAND BUILT in USA and shock dyno'ed /tested in house coilovers. Also, customer service is amazing!
Truthfully, we sell BC coilovers as well (personally owned 3 sets), but after installing a set of FA500 ourselves, we truly believe in this product and that at a small $225 increase in price, its much better to have FA500 than BCs, especially if comfort and performance is a priority to you. BCs generally suffers from inconsistent spring rates under compression(5k turns into a 9-11k spring after an inch of travel for example) which can upset handling, predictability and comfort. Their valving is also not as nice/comfortable or sophisticated to the point where they account for vehicle weight/wheel base/dynamics etc for the optimal rates for valving on the MR2 (What we've read and believe from personal experience).. But hey, if money is tight and if you like BCs, we carry them as well in our suspension department!
As another comparison in the MR2 community, the comfort is on par with the famous but extremely hard to obtain TRD springs/Koni strut combo. It is pretty similar to the stock 1993 mr2 suspension in terms of comfort. Or you can try Ohlins (which are around 3k-4k MSRP) but we think they're pretty similar. (Also read some of our customer reviews below)
As experts say, it is all in the valving which gives the coilovers its characteristics and this product gets their shocks valved in house with high quality components according to your desired spring rates, with specific vehicle weight and dynamics taken into consideration while engineering the ideal shock valving rates. An added bonus is that a bigger diameter piston is used rather than the smaller on other coilovers on the market, which increases the coilovers ability to dissipate forces and shock temperatures, leading to better consistency under harsh use and many other advantages.
This coilover system also utilizes Digressive piston technology which in basic terms, allows for significantly more comfortable and non jarring ride on the street versus other competitors while still being able to perform extraordinarily well on the track or under spirited driving with benefits of a wide range of damper adjustments. FA coilover technology is also used on many world class competition cars which are currently setting record lap times around the world.
Fortune Auto raises the bar with unparalleled quality and shock consistency (under high shock temps, will the coilover exert consistent forces under high temperatures?), customization and continuing support as well as product advancements/upgrades for the product over the years.
**If comfort and spring consistency is a big issue, get the swift springs. Their springs are wound from a magnetic steel alloy that makes the spring much more compliant and in the end, a more comfortable coilover system. They are much more consistent as well. (Example - A 5kg rated spring wont jack up to 9kg after the first inch of compression, it will stay a 5kg spring through the compression.) This is important for comfort, confidence inspiring feel, performance and predictability.
500 Series Coilovers are custom, hand-built to order. Most applications, including the MR2 have a 3-4 week lead time (hand built/valved to your specific order).
- Top Mounts Front: Pillowball Camber Plate
- Top Mounts Rear: Aluminum
- Default recommended Spring Rate Front: 4K
- Default recommended Spring Rate Rear: 6K
- Custom Spring Rate Available. (Every FA order is custom valved to spring rates)
- 4/6K - What FA default recommends, A bit soft. In theory, this should be more forgiving if rear slips out and the most comfortable for daily/mountain/occasional track use. Not really recommended as 5/7KG offers pretty much the same comfort and offers better performance benefits.
- ***Fortune Auto and MR2heaven recommends 5/7K as baseline - for more modified mr2s - daily use (50%)/mountain carving(35%)/occasional track use(10%)/more planted to ground feel or if you have light Aerodynamic mods (splitter, wing, flat underbody etc) or sticky tires, Hankook RS3, RS4, Pilot super sports, star spec, etc. Perfect choice.
- 5/8K - Pretty decent choice but we think the rear is a bit bumpy over large bumpy rounders during cornering. Don't get us wrong, it still very comfortable and provides immense confidence and cornering capabilities.
- 7/9KG works too and is comfortable.
- 8/10KG - If you have big aerodynamic mods and are into track racing or slamming the car/stance/trying not to rub or destroy your wheels, stiffer than 7/9KG also works and prevents rubbing. For Static stance guys (fender next to the wheel edge) Barely noticeable difference in comfort difference versus 6/8K.
- 12/14KG++ - We have not used this yet but recommended for very aggressive street, racing, track or stance use. For cars with massive aerodynamic mods attempting to shatter records. Should still be relatively comfortable and offers incredible road handling and feel. (This opinion is based of driving a 17/18KG setup on JRZ Pro 2 way coilovers ($6000+) on a E36 M3 which handled perfectly while being sporty and very comfortable on the streets. Felt 10-20% more harsh than our 5/8 FA coilover on MR2. Still more comfortable than 5/8K BC coilovers. No Joke.)A good point to remember is that sometimes stiffer is not better for handling. Sometimes some play in the suspension can allow for better weight distribution during cornering and can help with driver feedback, car stability and confidence.
- Those are our recommendations based on our current knowledge and experiences, you can choose other rates as well and pioneer for the community. We will thank you for that! :)
- Monotube damper with high pressure nitrogen
- 24-step adjustable dampers
- Height adjustment independent of preload
- Digressive piston technology
- 5-year manufacturer's warranty
- All shocks custom built to order
- 3-WEEK BUILD TIME IS NORMAL
See what others are saying..
"I absolutely love my fortunes man, i got the stiffer springs (7/9k) but the handmade coils and custom design they use make the impacts in the road so soft while maintaining stiffness" - Matthew W.
"I have been a fan of Fortune Auto for years, and their re-release of the MR2 version, is even better. They will valve AND spring your specific needs, so it's truly a custom coil over, and only $1225. I literally ordered a set for a 60 year old Grandma that wanted to just drive her RHD MR2 around town. Those were PLUSH" - Scott M of ATS Racing
"5/8K springs on fortune autos. A little stiffer than oem and a little more bouncy than OEM, but way nicer than the BC's i rode on. One of my favorite mods i've done so far. I haven't even played with the settings on mine at all (they're currently somewhere in the middle) and the ride is barely harsher than oem, but with much less leaning and diving" - Malcolm S. (Why we recommend 5/7K Spring rates)
and many more recommendations..
"Gone are the days of compromising a comfortable daily ride for potent track performance and ride height/suspension adjustment capabilities. FA500 rides comfortably like OEM while being great on the track and we cannot say the same for other coilovers/suspension setups without breaking the bank." - MR2Heaven